That Time We Had No Power

I realise, I really do realise, that I was going to write this post a couple of weeks ago, but you know. Things happen. It's all fine, ...

I realise, I really do realise, that I was going to write this post a couple of weeks ago, but you know. Things happen. It's all fine, I'm sure by now you've all realised that I'm not really that great at regular blog posts, but the good thing is I haven't given up on it completely.

So, as many of you in Canterbury know, or New Zealand in general, we had some pretty severe wind storms the other week. A lot of people lost power. I happened to be one of those lucky {insert sarcasm here} people who lost power for longer than over night or one day.

Yep, we had no power for a few days. I think it was about 3 days and 3 nights all up. We also lost water for some of that too, but that came on much quicker.

I know, I know, a lot of people have had worse, but the point is, you really don't realise how much you rely on things like electricity. All of a sudden we couldn't shower, we couldn't do the things we would normally do. We were lucky enough to have someone lend us a gas cooker so that we could at least cook though.

It was especially hard when there's a five year old in the house who enjoys to watch cartoons sometimes, and with the school being closed, it made it even harder for us to find enertaining things to do.
 
But then I thought, "Hey! I never used to sit in front of a television or computer or {Other technological things that use power}!"

So what did I do? I got L and we pulled out his stash of chalk {which I wish had been proper sidewalk chalk, we do need to invest in some of that} and we headed outside. 

We drew pictures, I taught him how to play hopscotch, and then we drew more pictures. And when he got sick of drawing pictures with chalk, I made some sidewalk paint, which is actually harder to wash away than I thought. The drawings are still there now, only just beginning to go.

It was quite strange to have no power when we could drive fifteen minutes into the city and it was as if nothing had happened. There are still tress being cut down out here, it's crazy.

{Exploring around a fallen tree}




You Might Also Like

0 comments