Foodie Friday - Lemon Poppy Seed Cakes

I hope everyone has been enjoying the beginning of spring. We've had some great weather here so far, I've been loving it. It's...

I hope everyone has been enjoying the beginning of spring. We've had some great weather here so far, I've been loving it.

It's been a while since I had a nice cake recipe on here, and with the beautiful weather that is starting to show, what better cake to have than a lemon one! I absolutely adore anything that is lemon flavoured, and lemon and poppy seed cake is my favourite for sure.

There's just something about the crunch from the poppy seeds and the tangy zest from the lemon that makes me love it.


The amount of lemons that have been around, I've been wracking my brain to try and think of something other than lemon curd to make with them all. That was when I remembered this delicious recipe and I just knew that I had to make it.

The added lemon glaze just makes it that much better. It tastes almost like sherbert has been put on top of the cakes.


So, for the ingredients you need:

200g Butter
1 Cup Sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
2 1/4 Cups Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Sour Cream or Yoghurt
1/4 Cup Milk

For the glaze:
4 Tablespoons Icing Sugar
Lemon Juice

Firstly, cream the butter and sugar with the lemon zest. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated.

Add in half of the flour and baking powder and mix before adding in the sour cream/yoghurt. Mix that together and then add the rest of the flour and baking powder and the milk.

Add the poppy seeds last and mix through.

Put the mixture into a prepared cake tin and bake at 180°C for 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean from the centre. It may take a little longer depending on the size of your tin.

Mix together the glaze while the cakes are cooling and then drizzle over the top. Wait for it to set a little bit and then enjoy!

 


post signature

You Might Also Like

1 comments