Foodie Friday... YoYo Biscuits

Biscuits or cookies, whatever you want to call them, they have always been a favourite of mine. Maybe it's because they're so easy...

Biscuits or cookies, whatever you want to call them, they have always been a favourite of mine.

Maybe it's because they're so easy to bake, so quick between going in the oven and being able to eat them. And hey, you don't always have to wait for them to cool down. There is nothing better than a gooey warm cookie, still soft in the centre.

Yum.

Baking cookies is a huge childhood memory of mine, in particular helping my Poppa make them.

I'm not sure if I've said this story before, but whenever I used to go to my Nana and Poppa's house, we would always make biscuits together. Usually they were peanut brownies or shortbread, but it was always fun to make them and spend that time with him.

Now that I'm older, baking cookies is something that I like to do with L, and he loves it too, especially rolling them to put them on the tray.

He really enjoyed making these ones as well.

I secretly think his favourite part is eating the dough, but really, who doesn't enjoy that part of baking?




 With custard powder being a main ingredient in these cookies, it's almost like eating a hardened version of custard, but not with a lumpy texture. They're crumbly and just melt in the mouth.

AKA delicious.

The icing that sandwiches them together is a custard tasting burst of amazingness as well.

I got the idea to make these ones after camping over New Years.

There was a snack shop at the camping grounds, and each time I went there to get a treat for L, they had these huge, delicious looking YoYo biscuits. I never bought one, but they stayed in my mind, so when I got home, I just had to make them.

I turned to my trusty Edmonds Cookbook, which is just about falling apart, but it's lasted a while. I found the recipe and away I went.

They are amazing. Just saying. And now you can make them yourself!

Ingredients:
175g Butter
1/4C Icing Sugar
1 1/2C Flour
1/4C Custard Powder
Few drops vanilla essence

Cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Sift flour and custard powder together. Mix sifted ingredients into creamed mixture. Roll into balls and place on an oven tray. Flatten with a fork. Bake at 180°C for 15 to 20 minutes. When cool, sandwich together with butter filling.

Butter Filling:
50g Butter
1/2C icing Sugar
2 Tablespoons Custard Powder

Beat all ingredients together until well combined and smooth.


post signature

You Might Also Like

0 comments