Treasure Chest full of Gold...Uh I mean, 3rd birthday party cake

If only it was a treasure chest full of gold that I had found, wouldn't that be nice. Shoot for the price of gold at the moment it would...

If only it was a treasure chest full of gold that I had found, wouldn't that be nice. Shoot for the price of gold at the moment it would be freakin' excellent.

Unfortunately for me it is just a cake that looks like a treasure chest full of gold, although it's still good, it's not quite as good as real gold.

My sons birthday is tomorrow, and he is having a pirate birthday. I was going to do individual cupcakes, but I thought a treasure chest cake would be so much more awesome than that. I had ideas in my head on how I was going to do it, but after baking the cakes I realised it wouldn't work, I would have needed heaps more cake to make it.
So being me, I changed my plan at the last minute, thankfully my cakes I had baked were all big rectangular slabs. I started with 4, and cut them in half so that I had 8 smaller rectangles. I then went about layering the cut cakes.
First I layered 5 pieces of cake, using Chocolate swiss butter-cream filling. I then layered the final three separately.





From the pictures you can see that I have cut a wedge off the 3 layer piece. I then seperated a layer away and used that to help wedge the lid (3 layer bit) open.


After all that (which didn't take long at all really), I went about icing the rest of it in chocolate to have a wood colour. and then coloured the leftover icing black and put in some chest details. I really hope he likes it!








Well until next time, happy baking.

Tammy xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments